The breathtaking Whitehaven Beach is found on Whitsunday Island – the largest in the chain making up the Whitsunday Islands.
With its snow-white sand, complete remoteness, idyllic turquoise waters, and an ever-changing inlet, which is one of the most photographed destinations on the planet. It’s no wonder so many people have Whitehaven Beach on their travel bucket list whilst travelling Australia.
The beach extends over 7km, with sand made up of 98% pure, tiny silica beads, making it dazzlingly white and luxuriously fine. The magic of the beads of sand is that they don’t retain heat from the sun. This makes it the perfect sand for beach strolls without burning the soles of your feet! The fineness of the beads also makes it perfect for exfoliating – a free spa day whilst at the beach!
The Ngaro Indigenous Tribe who called the Whitsunday Islands home used to call Whitehaven Beach the ‘Whispering Sands’. This is thought to come from the whistling sound that the sand makes under your feet as you walk. What makes Whitehaven Beach truly unique is Hill Inlet at the northern end of the beach. A tidal water inlet, where the snow-white sand and the turquoise waters swirl around each other, creating a marble-like fusion. Find out more about Hill Inlet and how to access it here.
There is plenty of wildlife and marine life viewable at the beach, including baby lemon sharks, stingrays, blue soldier crabs, goannas, white-bellied sea eagles, and many more.
In 2018 Flight Network collated a team of 1200 travel professionals who, put together, have seen over 165 countries. The team then listed the World’s top 100 beaches. Giving a rating out of ten for ‘Sheer untouched beauty’, ‘Remoteness’ and ‘Sand and Water Quality’.
Rivalled only by one other– Whitehaven Beach ranked 2nd in the world, gaining a 10/10 for beauty and remoteness and a 9/10 for sand and water quality. The professionals called Whitehaven Beach a ‘Picturesque Oasis’.
- #1 Beach in the South Pacific’ – 2017 TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Awards
- ‘Australia’s Best Travel Experiences – Best Beach: Whitehaven Beach’ awarded by Australian Traveller
- ‘Best Beach in the South Pacific’ – 2016 TripAdvisor Traveller’s Choice Awards
- ‘Best beach in Australia’ – 2016 TripAdvisor Traveller’s Choice Awards
- In July 2010, Whitehaven Beach was named the top Eco Friendly Beach in the world by CNN.com
- Queensland’s Cleanest Beach – Keep Australia Beautiful’s 2008 Clean Beach Challenge State Awards